The Stafford County Fire Marshal’s Office says it discovered an illegal distillery Tuesday afternoon while investigating a garage fire at a home in Falmouth.
Investigators reported the setup to Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control agents, who confiscated a makeshift stovetop distillery and a copper still outside of the split-foyer home in the 100 block of Kelley Road. They also discarded a 5-gallon bucket of mash, according to a news release from the Fire and Rescue Department.
The fire marshal did determine that the fire was caused by an extension cord short, and not anything related to the distilling equipment.
One tenet of making moonshine is staying under the radar of the revenuers. A fire in your home is not a good idea.
Read "Stafford officials discover illegal distillery while investigating garage fire" for more information.
Is it illegal to distil for your own consumption or was this clearly manufacturing for sale?ReplyDelete
My understanding is that one needs a permit to distill in VA even for personal use. Gotta collect those taxes you know?ReplyDelete
Wow. Like a headline out of the past.ReplyDelete
My thoughts exactly!!! Just another law that exists solely as a revenue source for the state.Delete